Friday, June 15, 2012

Art Making/Material Exploration #2: Logo Design



1. Discuss what you thought about creating your logo.
For my logo, I wanted to incorporate my furniture making. Right now I have a company name entitled, "Kelly & Sons", which is a play off of the old traditional furniture shops that usually involved a family owned and operated business. 

2. Describe the process: creative thinking skills and ideas you used in the logo creation.
I then began to think about the process of furniture making and decided to use very geometric lines and shapes that would faintly represent a tree. I didn't want the symbol of the tree to be too obvious. I settled on a design with two rings and many slivers, or different shaped triangles. These rings represent the rings within the trunk and the slivers represent how the wood is cut and rough sawn out of the tree trunk. I used color to bring some life into the design. 

3. What was the most important discovery you made in the creation of your logo?
The most important discovery I made was that imperfection and not having every element be even and exact, made the design more visually interesting. I also learned that color can completely change the visual look and feel of something. 

4. What is the most important information you learned from watching the videos, powerpoint, and reading material  for this project? What is your opinion of the videos? The most important thing I learned was how graphic design is used to create an identity for person, place, or company, that can easily be recognized by the masses. It's amazing to see how a small symbol with color can embody the spirit of a company or person and evoke a specific feeling from something so simple and small. Branding is important, because it represents the purpose and actions of a person/company in every way. I really liked the graphic design video the best because it was so interesting to see their process of creating the logo for the digital animations group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment