Monday, June 18, 2012

Art Gallery Visit #1: Memorial Art Gallery

Since I was in Rochester for Father's Day, I decided to venture to the Memorial Art Gallery to see their 5th Biennial. This exhibition featured several artists and makers from western and central New York. 




A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?

Eunsuh Choi
Between the Barriers, 2009
Glass
Flameworked borosilicate glass










The first piece that made an impact on me was the glass sculpture, Between the Barriers, by Eunsuh Choi. This piece is made from flameworked borosilicate glass. The grid-like pattern that has been created with such fine and delicate pieces of glass is unbelievable. The detail on this piece and difficulty of manipulating the material really created an impact on the viewer.


Val Cushing

Storage Jar, Acorn Series, 2004

Ceramics

Glazed stoneware
16 in. x 14 in. x 14 in. 










The second piece that made an instant impact on me was a small clay vessel made by Val Cushing. This small storage jar is a part of his Acorn Series, and has an attention to detail that is remarkable. The etching of the fine patterned lines on the side of the vessel are very balance and exact, as well as the flow of really round and smoothed shapes starting at the lid and continuing down to the body of the vessel. 


B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?

Roberto Bertoia
Passage #3, 2011
Woodwork
Walnut and Plexiglas
9 in. x 30 in. x 10 in. 




I felt a connection to the work of Roberto Bertoia, especially his piece Passage #3. I like his work, because he is a woodworker and most of his work involves using domestic hardwoods- which I also use in my own work. I really like how he takes the traditional material of wood and incorporates nontraditional materials, such as rubber, into his pieces. They create an unlikely match that makes a commentary on natural versus manmade.


David Higgins
Spaulding Street, 2012
Painting
Oil on panel
96 in. x 144 in. (243.84 cm x 365.76 cm)




Another piece that I felt a connection to was the painting Spaulding Street, by David Higgins. Higgins is a master oil painter reflecting photorealistic imagery in his paintings. This particular painting is very large scale and comprised of three separate panels that are lined together. The painting is of a house that gives you a really warm feeling. The way the flowery bushes slightly hide the house and sits in front of a warm yellow, sun filled sky.


C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?

Nate Larson and Marni Shindelman
from the series "Geolocation: Tributes to the Data Stream"
2009-2011
Print
Digital C-print
11 in. x 14 in.


I am fascinated by the work of photographers Nate Larson and Marni Shindelman. This particular image, is from their project “Geolocation: Tributes to the Data Stream.” The series has been in progress for the past two years and is centered around using location coordinates to combine Twitter messages with photos from the places where the posts originated. The title of the photograph is the original Twitter message. I would love to know more about this project that is using social media and networking to create a relationship with the actual environment they were inspired and created in.



David Higgins
Billboard, Louisiana
2006
Painting
Oil on Wood
12 x 16 in


Another piece that I would like to know more about is another painting by Higgins. This painting, Billboard, Louisiana, leaves me wanting more. I wonder what his intention and conceptual meaning was behind creating this piece. I also wonder about his technique of painting. How is he able to achieve such realism? The rough and torn texture of the abandoned billboard lends such an amazing contrast to the soft natural background. 

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the works that you have picked. Billboard, Lousiana is may favorite out of all of the works that you have picked. When I first looked at it I thought it was a photo and after I took a second look I noticed it was a painting and this was confirmed by reading about the art work. I liked your comments about it too. I would also like to know how this artist was able to acheive realism too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to agree with Richard too actually. The Billboard piece and the glass piece are definitely my favorites. I probably would have selected them too if I went to that gallery to be honest. Glass is an amazing material and seems so difficult to work with, but the end results are pristine and timeless. I also would want to know more about the Billboard piece too. It's mysterious, foreboding, and strangely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit a different art gallery and were able to share these unique photos of your favorites with us. I also loved the 'Between the Barriers' piece as I felt it was functional and beautiful at the same time. I was intrigued by the 'Spaulding Street' piece but for a different reason. It was almost a distorted view of a typical suburbian home - the bright colors and side view alluded to almost a fantasy, as if something was "off" or wrong". Very nice blog and pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "Between the Barriers" piece is an interesting piece of the glassmaking craft. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete