Friday, June 15, 2012

Art Making/Material Exploration #1: Exploring Value and The Subtractive Color Theory




1. Discuss what you thought about creating the Value Scale and Color Wheel.
Creating the Value Scale and Color Wheel was interesting and more complicated than one would think. It's easy to read about the capabilities of a material, but to really stretch them shade by shade yourself is much more difficult. The Value Scale was the most difficult, because you are demanding so many variations out of one material and just the weight of your hand can make all the difference in the world. 

2. Which media did you enjoy working with the best and why?
I much preferred using the paints to create the Color Wheel. I found that mixing the paints and using the different colors was much easier to work with and get the consistencies I was working for. I think that my "magenta" was too bright though and it affected the secondary colors and the black section of the wheel. I wasn't able to get the red and black right. 

3. What was the most important discovery in the creation of these studies?
The most important discovery in the creation for me was that magenta, cyan, and yellow are really the primary colors. I had, like many others, believed red, yellow, and blue to be the center fixtures of the color wheel. 

4. What is the most important information you learned from watching the videos for this project? What is your opinion of the videos?
Again, the most important thing I learned was that magenta, cyan, and yellow are the true primary colors. I'd always concluded that all the colors (with red, yellow, and blue being considered primary) mixed together created brown and that didn't seem right to me, so now it makes more sense. I liked the videos because I felt as though they were concise and to the point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment