Friday, August 10, 2012

Self-Portraits

Here are the three self-portraits that I found inspirational along with a photo of the artists who created them:

1. Tamara de Lempicka




Self-Portrait in Green Bugatti
Oil on Canvas
1925




2. Kasey McMahon


Connected//Self-Portrait
Steel, CAT5, other data cables
2010




3. Bruce Nauman




Self-Portrait as a Fountain
Color photograph
1966-1967


Here is my self portrait photograph:



 My final self-portrait in colored pencil:




1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?

I selected these inspiration pieces, because I thought they really showed the versatility in doing something like this. It’s really all about you the artist and how you want to portray yourself. These are all very different self-portraits that I personally feel a connection with.


2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?


I selected colored pencil, because I wanted to create a very layered effect, as well as keep it light feeling.


3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?


The challenged I faced were what color palette to choose and also at what angle I wanted to portray myself. I decided on a cool color palette and showing myself at an odd angle.


4. How does this piece represent you?


This piece represents me, because it shows only a part of me and it carries an air of mystery and elusiveness. The layered colors symbolize me as a person to show that I am very layered, yet still simple in a way and colorful.


5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?


I definitely aimed to create a sense of visual texture and focused on the linear components of the face. I really tried to use color and to manipulate the medium to create this.


6. Did you enjoy working on this project?


Yes, but it would’ve been better to explore more possibilities if we were to be given this project earlier in the course.


7. What do you think of your final artwork?


I thought it was ok. I would have liked to do an acrylic painting, but I really didn’t have time to do studies on it. I think having had a strong photograph that I really liked and felt comfortable working with really helped the creation of my final piece. 



No comments:

Post a Comment