Friday, July 20, 2012

Masks

For this project, my three mask images are all from South American descent. They all depict the same theme: Skulls. I chose this theme and these masks, because I have always been fascinated by the Mexican celebration of Dio de Las Muertos – The Day of the Dead. This celebration and festival represents a celebration of death and life and I have always admired what it stands for. We can see through these images how the masks have evolved from simplicity to more elaborate designs.



Skull mask
Mexico DF
Painted wood, papier mache
9 inches
Crit: When looking at this mask we can identify the use of line in a very simplistic way. The black lines create a sense of symmetry and balance, while contrasting the white background. The face holds the element of shape and mass with exaggerated features such as the cheek bones and the mouth.




Skull Mask

Guerrero
Painted Wood
11 inches
Crit: This mask definitely seems a bit more stylized. The first thing I noticed was the use of color. The use of color emphasizes the floral crown along the forehead that still holds balance and symmetry. We can also see the emphasis of color on the exaggerated cheekbones.The lines in the teeth create a very 3D effect and we can see from the profile how these exaggeraged shapes create a more unproportional mask.


Skull Mask
Mexico City, DF
Painted papier mache
Crit: Out of the three, this is the most decorated mask. The emphasis is definitely within the line pattern, texture, and color use. The pattern of the lines creates a rhythm and balance within the mask. Even though the lines are not exactly symmetrical, the color helps to even out the balance. There is also an emphasis found within the starkness of the teeth and black of the eyes. Because there is no decoration there, they become a focal point.

Mask Sketches & Final Mask:

I tried to combine the style of the three masks I used for inspiration, along with my own style. The first and second masks were white with contrasting color. I wanted to use color to emphasize the certain areas of the face that I exaggerated- the cheekbones, eyes, nose, and mouth/teeth. I tried to also emphasize the use of line with the color. I used a cut out method to bend certain parts of the mask back to create the illusion of depth. The mask is asymmetrical, but still maintains a sense of balance with the color and cut outs.

I thought my mask was pretty reflective of my style. I definitely am drawn towards more geometric shapes, so I used rectangular, linear shapes that look more jagged and edgy instead of smooth, organic ones. I chose these colors because I thought they felt bright and happy, which symbolizes the celebration of the Day of the Dead.



No comments:

Post a Comment